easy healthy recipes
Quinoa and brown rice Mediterranean salad with pomegranate, feta and toasted pine nutsCooking, healthy recipes
- Quinoa and brown rice Mediterranean salad with pomegranate, feta and toasted pine nuts
- 300g quinoa
- 200g brown rice
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- 200g pomegranates seeds
- 80g pine nuts, toasted
- 1 1/2 tsp each of coriander, cumin, paprika & tumeric
- 1 clove of garlic,crushed
- 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
- Pinch of saffron strands
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of massel vegetable stock powder (with 2 tablespoons of hot water)
- 1 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of maldon sea salt
- Cover quinoa & brown rice in water and bring to the boil, stir and reduce heat and leave for 20min. Remove from heat add saffron strands, stir and let sit for a further 5min, drain and fluff the quinoa & rice,
- Meanwhile, add onion, 1/2 of each of the spices, garlic, ginger & olive oil to a fry pan and cook onion until golden and aromatic. Set aside,
- Quickly toast pine nuts and set aside,
- Add remaining spices, veggie stock and stir through until well combined,
- Stir through all of the remaining ingredients & onion mixture and let cool,
- Serve as a side or add lamb strips for a hearty meal.
- As always, Enjoy!
- Kiz x
Kiera’s Slow Cooker, Flu Fighting, Madras CurryCooking, healthy recipes
Kiera’s Slow Cooker, Flu Fighting, Madras Curry
With the cold weather upon us, cold and flu season is setting in. To combat, try this immune system boosting recipe, packed with nutritious herbs and spices that act as anti-inflammatories in the body. So delish, and so good for when you are feeling run down.
Serve as is or with brown rice or quinoa.
- 500g Chicken breast, diced
- Kiz’s Madras curry paste (recipe below)
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 leak, thinly sliced
- 4 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 medium head of broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 1 handful of green beans, chopped
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and washed
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of organic tomato paste
- 1 Cup of water
2. Sauté onions and leak till golden then add to slow cooker with all the chopped vegetables, tomato, chicken and water.
KIZ’S MADRAS CURRY PASTE
• 2 tablespoons roughly chopped ginger
• 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
• 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
• 2 long red chillies, roughly chopped
• 3 tablespoons Olive oil
• 3 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• salt to taste
Place all ingredients in food processor or mortar and pestle and process until it forms a smooth paste.
Sautéed cauliflower & baby spinach salad with pine nuts, pumpkin seeds & tamari sauceCooking, healthy recipes
Sautéed cauliflower & baby spinach salad with pine nuts, pumpkin seeds & tamari sauce
Brown Rice & QuinoaCooking, healthy recipes
This is an easy go to meal. Full of nutrients, protein and not to mention FLAVOUR!
– 1/2 Cup of quinoa
– 1/2 Cup of brown rice
– 1 Tablespoon of vege stock
– 1 tsp each of paprika, cumin, turmeric.
– 1/2 tsp of ginger, cayenne pepper & cinnamon.
– 1tsp of fresh chopped garlic.
-squeeze of lemon juice and splash of olive oil
– small handful of lightly toasted pinenuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
– 50g Danish feta
Add rice & quinoa to saucepan and bring to boil for 15-20min till water reduces, turn heat to low.
Add – tablespoon of vege stock,
When rice is cooked, add garlic, ginger and stir through for a few minutes.
Remove from heat and add spices, seeds & lemon juice.
Just before serving add feta and gently stir.
You can add baby spinach, pumpkin, chicken to make this a healthy and heart dinner.